Thursday, September 4, 2008

The French Empire Strikes Back

Um, so I'm not sure why the Star Wars references have now made appearances in two posts, but apparently I'm an avid closet-fan. Anyway, do not fear - my intention is not to detail every day of my 5 months in Paris, but to give you a bit of a background as to how things began versus how they progressed.

P.S. Is it weird that as I was looking for my photo albums to jog my memory, I found a VHS tape titled "Bellydance: Fitness for Beginners"? Unless I subconsciously blacked out that moment of my life, then I have zero clue as to where this might have come from.. lucky for me, it was still in the plastic wrapping.

After being housed for 2 weeks, courtesy of Boston College, at the Maison de Canadiens, we were let off the leash and forced to find our own apartments. To fast forward a bit: yaddi, yaddi, yadda - I found some friends.. bla, bla, bla - I was not left in a French gutter cold and alone. Although we were definitely duped by our anything but smooth French landlord, we did find a place to sleep for the next 5 months.

Now for the good stuff..
Metro Map of Paris
Challenge #1: The metro. Initially, looking at the metro map for me was like trying to figure out a rubix cube - impossible.

Solution #1: Have some wine, loosen up, speak some French, find your way.

For a while, the only places we knew how to get to were on Line 4, which led to St. Michel, Notre Dame & the Odeon area [it helped that our apartment was also on Line 4, in Alesia]. It was the first area that our group checked out all together, and probably not surprisingly, houses the places where many of us felt most at home. The reason for this.. one bar in particular.. The Moosehead, a Canadian bar in Paris.

No comments: