Friday, September 5, 2008

Newport, RI: Bachelorette Heaven

I'm going to take a small break from the international travel talk, and bring it back home for a moment.. err, post. This weekend, I have the pleasure of partaking in the bachelorette festivities for a childhood friend in good ole Newport, RI.

I had not initially thought of this destination as what my title suggests, until it was brought to my attention yesterday by a couple of fellows. They claimed that every time they've gone down there, they've run into 10+ girls dressed in the same shirts & all liquored up.. I suppose there may be some truth to this theory.. and I might be living proof. I'd go so far as to say that 75% of the times that I've been to Newport have been for bachelorette parties. Either way, it's a gorgeous place.

Below is a picture of my college roommates, a.k.a the crew that I was most recently guilty of being in Newport with for Nic's bachelorette (back row, furthest left). I'm not sure why I resemble Patch Adams here, but I swear that's still better than I look on the average day.

BC Bachelorette Party - Newport 2007
Boasting a Nantucket or Cape Cod-like atmosphere, Newport is not just another coastal beach town. It's rich in history too. In different eras, it was a port for pirate activity, naval operations, and the center of slave trade in New England. While it has obviously changed in certain facets, Newport's economy is still flourishing today. Perhaps most notably associated with the Newport Mansions, the city has evolved into more of an upscale vacation spot with chic strip malls, luxurious condos, and great karaoke & beach bars!

My two hot tips on the social scene in Newport, RI:
  • The Pelham: Or as it is more formally known, One Pelham East. Great live rock bands, songs you know and love, and fine company.. or at least, it will be by the end of the night - if you hear what I'm saying. Located on Thames Street - the happening strip of Newport.
  • The Red Parrot: Restaurant spanning multiple stories and boasting multiple bars [also located] right on the heart of Thames Street. Enjoy Jazz music, food with a hint of Caribbean flavor at reasonable prices, and an overall relaxing atmosphere.

Oh, and also courtesy of The Red Parrot website, I've learned that Newport was home to the first roller rink! Rollerworld anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Lil' Boozie said...

Thanks for your encouragement - we hope to resume working on the blog more consistently as we begin 2010. Happy New Year!