Sunday, October 5, 2008

US Cities: The Results are In!

While I can't help but be slightly offended at the fact that 0% of our poll respondents expressed that Boston would be their US home of choice, I can agree with the desire to live in the winning city: San Francisco, with 57% of all votes. A close second, New York City garnered 42% of votes cast. The ironic thing is that these two cities exude a similar feel. One on the left coast and one closer to the right, San Fran & NYC offer the hustle & bustle, historic landmarks, and unique history that many great cities possess.

Funnily enough, I've been told that Boston & Chicago boast a similar atmosphere. Living the majority of my life in or around Boston and never having visited the Windy City, my understanding is that they both radiate a large town feel rather than that of a small city. Both Beantown & Chi-Town attract a large percentage of college students as well as eager post-grads.

Did You Know...

  • Boston built the first subway system in the US in 1897
  • Chicago style softball is played without a glove and with a 16" softball
  • New York City boasts the largest Chinatown / Chinese enclave in the Western Hemisphere
  • San Francisco features the only moving National Historic Landmark courtesy of its beloved cable cars

Would you most like to visit a US city not listed in this article? If so, where would your heart take you?

San Francisco Skyline

6 comments:

- Susan - said...

Hello Suz,

I just found your blog (via your link in your comment) and I red your travel term du jour: Kinderplatz. As I am German, I can say, it is NOT a German term that is in use in Germany. We have either Kinderzimmer (the child room in your house or the room for the kids e.g. to play in a hotel) or the Kinderspielplatz (this is the playground). We have all kind of Kinder... words but Kinderplatz might be a Portugese creation for German tourists.

Lil' Boozie said...

Thanks for the clarification, Suzie! Now that you mention it, I believe the second term listed was actually correctly spelled / used in Portugal. It was an oversight on my part, and I truly appreciate your comment.

Best,
Suz

Anonymous said...

Cool, blog. Glad you liked TheLifeLessTraveled.com, thanks for visiting!

Lil' Boozie said...

We appreciate your visit, "the life less traveled" :) - come back any time!

Unknown said...

I am speechless that Seattle hasn't been listed as a top city in this post. Lil' Boozie, you need to come visit again and realize how wonderous the city is. Consult me and vist.

Lil' Boozie said...

You're right, Catherine (a.k.a. my friend, Bacon).. I do need to make another visit. And to address your concern, I guess when I was originally creating that poll, I was envisioning cities that both domestic and international folks would be most likely to anticipate visiting.. clearly, I was not spot on with featuring either Boston or Chicago. Shall I pit Seattle up against Mountain Lakes next round?