Monday, November 10, 2008

Discovery Park, Discover Seattle

A couple of years ago, I went to visit my good friends, Bacon & Joe. Now residing in the Grunge Movement capital of the world, they call Seattle home.

It's true - initially, my desire to head to the Pacific Northwest was fueled by my early 90s obsession with the lead singer of Nirvana. If we could only visit one landmark, then it was going to be Kurt Cobain's pad. Bacon & Joe did grant my wish, but also enthusiastically showed me that there was much more depth to this city, a place dedicated to music, culture, and the performing arts.

On my last day in Seattle, we hiked around Discovery Park taking advantage of its many walking trails. Located in the Magnolia neighborhood, Discovery Park was created in the 1970s and is arguably the best place in the city to see some of Seattle's wildlife. From the park's south meadow, you can catch an awe-inspiring view of Puget Sound. The park's South Beach (not to be confused with Miami's famous plage) is certainly worth a visit as well, just be prepared for the hike back to the parking lot.

My one regret about this last minute adventure: my shoes. We sort of decided to venture through the park on a whim. The skies had just cleared, a rare feat for Seattle in mid-March. Unfortunately, my feet were enclosed by uncomfortable high-heeled black boots.. You be the judge.

Feast your eyes on these.

Discovery Park Seattle

Discovery Park View

And lastly, a random view of the Olympic Peninsula.. too pretty to keep out of this post.

Olympic Peninsula
**Photos courtesy of Bacon - thanks, Cath!**

2 comments:

Unknown said...

GO Seattle! We love visitors! It is a fabulous city, full of things for every personality. I dont know what I do to get such weird names though...Bacon, Sea Chicken, Nibbles...Why doesn't anyone call me Catherine?

Lil' Boozie said...

Nicknames are terms of endearment, young Bacon. Just accept your loving ways!