Friday, November 28, 2008

Sevilla - A Quick & Dirty Tour

I have yet to be disappointed by a single experience I have ever had in Sevilla, Spain. Sketched out, yes. Disappointed, NO. My most recent visit was this past spring, and was really more of a stop over on our way to Morocco, rather than a full-blown visit.

Irregardless (to use a non-existent word from my home state of Massachusetts), it was sooo easy in the 24 hours we had in the city to hit up most of the high points, at least enough to make every person I was traveling with want to stay for at least two or three more days. So, without further a do, here is my "quick and dirty guide to Sevilla if you only have 24 hours to see stuff."

1) Enjoy some Sangria in an outdoor cafe - we chose the roof deck of our youth hostel, because it was less dinero:

2) Have dinner at a restaurant with outdoor seating (notice a trend developing?) - paella is a traditional dish and is yummy at most restaurants. NO recommendations on best places to go, just walk around and find a place - there are tons of cute places spanning out from the Cathedral. Hello! It's the experience, get your nose out of the guidebook.

3) Visit the Cathedral of Sevilla in the morning. I have identical pictures from each visit, but that doesn't make the building less beautiful to see.
Home to the Sepulchre (tomb) of Columbus, and a spectacular view from the bell tower. The Cathedral sanctuary was under construction when we were there in April, but it was still worth the visit.

4) Real Alcazar. Loved it during my first visit, but was closed on the most recent stop over. Gorgeous architecture and HUGE gold fishies.

5) Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza. Ethical issues aside, it is another freakin' cool building.

6) Horse Drawn Carriage Ride. Sure, roll your eyes at the cheesiness, but when time is an issue it is a great way to a) cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time, and b) learn some additional history about the city. Our carriage driver was willing to negotiate, and was more than happy to answer all of our questions.

So, there you have it, a quick tour of Sevilla (maybe it wasn't very dirty, but I like the expression more). If you don't spend too much time at one place, this is totally doable in 24 hours.

4 comments:

Davidlind said...

If you use your photo editor to add a little light to these photos they could be really good. Just a suggestion.
My son wants to study next year in Spain. Barcelona. So I will be following your exploits with personal interest.
Enjoy.

Lil' Boozie said...

About that carriage ride.. I still haven't bounced back from the fact that I was not included. You kids really crushed my dreams.. I honestly don't know if I'll ever fully recover or completely forgive you.

Unknown said...

You ladies brought the dirty to that quick trip!

I will NEVER recover from not going with you girls.

Molly said...

I had a friend that studied abroad in Barcelona, so I visited a couple of times. Unfortunately, I was mainly there for the night-life, so my experiences are slightly skewed.

Boozie - at least you got to see the house of the Toros with BK and Ev!!